Great Barrier Reef Management
You have a unique opportunity to visit one of the world’s greatest natural treasures, the Great Barrier Reef. Learn first hand about one of the richest and most diverse natural ecosystems on Earth by staying on the reef at the spectacular Heron Island. This field trip gives you the chance to explore the largest coral reef ecosystem on earth through boating and snorkelling activities.
On this field trip you will learn about some of the current challenges in protecting the Great Barrier Reef, including significant threats of climate effects and water quality. The Reef attracts more than 1.6 million visitors each year, contributes more than $5 billion to the Australian economy, and generates about 63,000 jobs. You will learn about the current strategic assessment that aims to balance the ongoing protection of the reef’s environmental values with sustainable development.
This field trip will also showcase structures and facilities that support research and development activity within the Reef and how key tourism and research institutions have led to improvements in management and education.
- Learn how the Australian Government and Queensland Government are working together to reconcile development challenges through the largest, most wide-ranging and most complex strategic assessment ever undertaken in Australia.
- Learn about reef research by touring the Heron Island Research Station that includes modern research facilities and equipment to rival many mainland laboratories.
- Explore how research and tourism partnerships can be used to improve protection and management of protected areas.
Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef.
Please note: Heron Island operates 1 hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time (EST) all year round)
20 to 23 November (4 Days).
$1,051.20 - 1,763.40 (see rates below).
$1,051.20 per person (Reef Family Room, twin share*).
$1,763.40 per person (Reef Family Room, single).
$562.00 per child 13 years and over.
$50.00 per child under 13 years.
Please note: bookings are now extremely limited and subject to availability, with only the Reef Family Room available for booking by delegates. Twin-share placement is also subject to the below conditions and cannot be guaranteed.
* If you require a twin-share room, please advise who you will be sharing with in the booking form. If you do not know who you are sharing with, Field Trip Leaders will attempt to place you with another participant (same sex). However, if no one is able to share with you, you will be liable for the single room cost (to be invoiced to you separately).
Field Trip Leader Contact
Name: Asheley Ings
|PACKAGE #||ROOM TYPE||SOLE USE
(13 and over)
|1||Reef Family Room
(1 Queen Bed, 2 Single Beds/Day Beds) Bedding caters for a maximum of 4 with the options for a rollaway to be added for a fifth person (additional charges applicable)
|$ 1,763.40||$ 1,051.20||$562.00 (including accommodation, meals & return launch transfers)||$50.00 (including accommodation in existing bedding only, meals & return launch transfers)
$257.00 (including accommodation with an additional rollaway, meals & return launch transfers)
* Please note: the above prices do not include private lunch on arrival or organised tours/activities for accompanying children.
Reef Rooms are positioned close to the beach and offer filtered reef and water views through a canopy of beachside trees and shrubs. The living area extends outdoors to a balcony or garden setting and interiors are light and comfortable. Family room configurations are available as quoted above.
If children are travelling and staying at Heron Island:
- Children 12 years and under using existing bedding stay and eat free per paying adult.
- Children aged 2-12 years incur a child return launch transfer of $50.00 per child.
- An extra child charge of $69.00 per night (accommodation & included meals only) will apply for children 12 years and under if a rollaway bed is required (Reef Family Rooms).
- Persons over 13 years incur an extra adult charge of $154.00 per night (accommodation & included meals only).
- Persons over 13 years incur an extra adult return launch transfer charge of $100.00 per extra adult.
IMPORTANT: Booking Closure Date and Cancellation Policy
- It is a requirement that this field trip complies with the Cancellation terms and conditions set down by Heron Island Resort. As such, bookings for this field trip will be closed on 20 September 2014.
- The Cancellation Terms and Conditions set down by Heron Island Resort are below. If you choose to cancel your participation in the field trip, you will be liable for cancellation fees as outlined below.
|Up to 21 September 2014||15% non-refundable deposit|
|Between 20 September 2014 & 21 October 2014||50% of total rooms revenue cancelled|
|Between 20 October 2014 & departure from the Island||100% of all confirmed accommodation, pre-booked additional meals, conferencing, functions, transfers and day tours|
- Travel Insurance: Delays or cancellations may require unforseen overnight accommodation in Gladstone. It is highly recommended that the participants purchase travel insurance. Heron Island Resort recommends this for all of their guests simply because it is a remote destination and occasionally inclement weather can have an affect on transfers etc. The policy should be reviewed thoroughly, to ensure guests are covered in the unlikely event that their travel plans are disrupted due to weather or acts of god. The above cancellation policy will still be applicable in these situations.
- Communication: Participants are encouraged to leave the outside world behind. Televisions, telephones and internet, whilst available in the resort, are not found in all guest rooms. Please note there is no mobile phone coverage on the island.