Sponsor the Congress
The IUCN World Parks Congress 2014 (WPC 2014) is a landmark global forum on protected areas held once every ten years. Since its official launch in Seattle, USA in 1962, it has evolved as the world’s most influential gathering of people involved in protected area planning, governance and management, setting the direction and shaping the global agenda for the decades ahead.
Parks, People, Planet: Inspiring Solutions
Our ultimate aim is to position protected areas firmly within the wider goals of economic and community well-being. We will strive for new commitments, and capacity to address critical efforts to conserve biodiversity while helping the world to face enormous challenges. The WPC 2014 will provide a unique global platform for professionals covering business, biodiversity conservation, government, and health, as well as climate change adaptation, food security, sustainable livelihoods, water and disaster risk reduction. It will convene world leaders and promote targeted actions to meet some of the world’s most pressing challenges in conservation and development, by increasing understanding of the vital role that protected areas play in delivering ecosystem services and underpinning human welfare and livelihoods.
By achieving these objectives, the Congress will communicate the most compelling and inspiring solutions to global challenges, position protected areas in the post-2015 sustainable development agenda and reach new commitments and capacity for implementation across conservation, development and business sectors.
How can you contribute?
Staging WPC 2014 is a major technical and financial undertaking for IUCN and the host country, Australia. The success of WPC 2014 is dependent on its legacy and will rely on long term investment to sustain the diversity, quality and purpose of the world’s protected areas. Financial and technical assistance is essential to convene this event and to take advantage of its opportunities. Investment is needed for:
- WPC "Legacy"/Programme – Support programmatic initiatives through specific investment in projects and programmes that will be derived from agreements and commitments informed by the WPC streams and outcomes.
- World Protected Area Leadership Dialogues – Support leadership dialogues, speakers and panels that will debate and provide solutions for some of the most important issues of our time.
- Assist participation – Sponsor delegates from low and middle income countries, including protected area managers, community members and young professionals, whose attendance will be vital to the success of WPC 2014.
- Communication – Support innovative media approaches that can inspire a new generation; contribute to the development of key products in different languages; support website design, social media or keynote speakers to ensure a highly interactive congress and ongoing collaboration.
- Support WPC content development – Engage with and support Streams and/or Cross-cutting Themes.
- Preparation and staging of WPC 2014 – Provide financial support for the staging of the event, including logistical support and funds needed to plan and prepare content and publications before the actual event.
What's in it for business?
Investment in protected areas and institutions can be cost-effective and provide multiple economic and social benefits for both the private and public sectors. In engaging with sectoral interests, we will foster collaborative efforts among governments, businesses, indigenous peoples, local communities, NGOs, and youth for a new approach with tangible commitments.
The WPC 2014 represents a unique opportunity for the private sector to demonstrate its commitment and environmental social responsibility in conservation and protected areas to a global constituency.
Early confirmation of your interest and support for the Congress will ensure a high level of exposure. An extensive promotional campaign including advertisements, direct mail campaigns, email broadcasts and web exposure will be implemented and the opportunity exists for your company to be represented as a key sponsor of the Congress well in advance of the actual dates.
Sponsor the IUCN World Parks Congress Bulletin
IUCN and IISD Reporting Services, the publishers of the Earth Negotiations Bulletin, are looking for partners to ensure daily coverage from the Congress through the IUCN World Parks Congress Bulletin. This includes e-mail distribution of the summary and daily reports in English, French and Spanish from the Congress to IISD electronic mailing lists, which reach approximately 125,000 environment and sustainable development decision-makers worldwide, as well as distribution through social media such as Twitter and Facebook. For more information, please contact Brett Wertz at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 402 440 6711 and/or Xenya Cherny-Scanlon at email@example.com or +41 22 999 0299. We are inviting inquiries from potential partners in all sectors.
An exciting range of sponsorship opportunities have been developed to ensure a successful outcome for business and sponsor involvement. Additional reference materials and information can be provided to facilitate better understanding of opportunities for alignment and mutual benefit with sponsors. We aim to encourage your active participation in the WPC 2014 programme.
Domestic Fundraising Manager
Event Director & Domestic Fundraising Manager
GPO Box 3270, Sydney NSW 2001
Tel: +61 2 9254 5000
Fax: +61 2 9251 3552
International Fundraising Manager
World Parks Congress Partnership Manager
28 rue Mauverney, CH-1196 Gland, Switzerland
Tel: +41 22 999 0712
Fax: +41 22 999 0002