The Promise of Sydney: Innovative approaches to Reaching conservation goals
It has become clear that the same approaches will no longer enable us to achieve our bold ambitions for protected areas. In order to ensure a healthy future for protected areas and the millions who depend on them, we must embark on a new direction. That means that we must change. But we cannot simply agree that change must happen; we must find promising new ways to change the status quo and demonstrate to the world with a new range of partners and stakeholders how we can together carry out these changes.
Each of the twelve Streams and Cross-cutting themes of the World Parks Congress has drafted Innovative approaches to change in consultation with numerous experts and stakeholders in preparation for the World Parks Congress. Based on real, innovative solutions, these documents posit a set of promising fresh approaches – focused around each topic area – to the challenges facing parks, people and the planet today. They will each be deliberated and populated during the Congress with the boldest solutions for change at scale, and, by the final days of the Congress, revised by the stream and theme leaders for stakeholder endorsement. They will serve as a central source of information and inspiration for the Vision for the Promise of Sydney. Our hope is that these Innovative approaches will be activated by promises, pledges, and commitments by individuals, communities, non-governmental organizations, private companies and governments.
The Innovative approaches articulate hypothetical bold steps we can take to achieve the greatest transformations in decision-making, in practice, in policy, in capacity and in financing for protected areas. They source the most innovative solutions within protected areas to the world’s challenges to:
- Demonstrate the value of protected areas to humanity
- Advance innovative approaches based on evidence from inspiring solutions
- Significantly augment broad sectoral collaboration around protected areas
- Transform a full range of global, regional and local policies, such as the Sustainable Development Goals, to reflect the essential contributions of protected areas
The Innovative approaches comprise two parts:
- Vision: an ambition for a promising future
- Analysis of the current situation
- Recommendations for the most important ten-year transformation to achieve this ambition
- Targets reflecting the pathway towards this transformation
- The stakeholders, new and existing, needed to achieve this ambition
- Crucial considerations